The Treasure of Maravilla

Legend said the Maravilla was cursed. She sank in January of 1656, the Nuestra Señora de las Maravillas was officially filled with over five million pesos of treasure. That treasure included much of the silver salvaged from the South Seas Fleet’s Capitana of 1654 that wrecked on Chanduy Reef off Ecuador. The ill-fated treasure sank once again when the Maravillas unexpectedly ran into shallow water and was subsequently rammed by one of the other ships of its fleet, forcing the captain to try to ground the Maravillas on a nearby reef on Little Bahama Bank off Grand Bahama Island. Over six hundred lost their lives while the lucky forty-five escaped the curse and returned to Spain to tell the story.

Robert Marx, the world renowned underwater archaeologist and treasure hunter, says “The Maravilla was nothing but trouble. It’s a cursed wreck.” His quest to find the Maravilla, the second-richest Spanish galleon ever lost at sea, became an obsession and required a twelve year search. The vessel was carrying 650 passengers, and according to the manifest, 5 million pesos of gold, silver, jewelry, emeralds, pearls, and other precious artifacts back to King Philip IV of Spain. Marx had first read about the galleon in 1960 when fascination with sunken treasure took him to the Archive of the Indies in Seville, Spain. The Spanish had kept track of everything from the time of Columbus, and he made a number of trips to the archive and went through fifteen thousand documents for clues. One was a prayer written by a priest who survived :

"Blessed by the light of the day
And the holy cross we say:
Blessed be the immortal soul
And the Lord who keeps it whole
Blessed by the light of the day
And he who sends the night away"

According to Marx’s research, the priest actually was Diego Portichuelo de Ribadeneyra, head of the Spanish Inquisition for South America.

Finally, Marx know what really happened after the fleet, based on various documents he had read. It was New Year’s Day January 4th, 1656 a fleet led by the Maravilla left Havana Harbor. For all the ships returning to Spain from the New World, the last stop was Havana and then up through the straits of Florida. They would try to spot what is now Cape Canaveral and then they knew they were far north enough to head for the northeast, Bermuda, the Azores, and home. Unfortunately, the whole fleet turned to the northeast too soon. They didn’t see the Cape but assumed they were far enough north, but were really 50 miles further south. It was a disaster. After midnight and all passengers were asleep when a lookout realized they were in less than 20 feet of water off Little Bahama Bank. The captain ordered a cannon to be fired to warn the other ships and then all hell broke loose. One of the other ships hit the Maravilla on the side and put a large hole in it. The captain tried to get the ship up higher on the bank but it hit a reef and broke into two pieces.

Marx says that although they were not far from land, many people in those days did not know how to swim. Even those who could had such heavy clothing it held them back. Over six hundred people on board the ship died in the night, and the wreckage scattered. Spanish salvagers soon recovered almost half a million pesos of treasure quickly, followed by more recoveries over the next several decades, yet with over half of the official cargo still unfound.

In 1968 Marx intensified his search for Maravilla. From the Spanish documents, he knew he had 36,000 square miles of ocean to search, and while he was combing the bottom of the sea he saw sixty other ancient wrecks. His optimism never wavered and he awoke every morning thinking it might be the day the Maravilla would be found. Finally, on August 1972, was the climax of a twelve year search. He observed one of his magnetometer apparently hit something. After removed about thirty feet of sand away, the first thing he found was a cannon ball. He took his hammer and knocked the core off and saw the English broad arrow mark which showed it was British property. While he removed the sand from a second spot, he opened there were thousand of silver and gold coins, jewelry and candlesticks. It was the Maravilla.

Marx also soon discovered that the main part of the Maravilla was 6 to 8 miles south and parts of the wrecks were spread out over 15,000 square mile area. Many hurricanes over the years had moved the pieces and deposited 30 feet of sand on top. Among of the first items he found was an eighty-pound silver bar with the name of the ship’s captain on it. There were porcelain bowls and other items from China. Also smuggled pieces such as twenty-five-pound solid gold bar with no markings.

After six weeks, his ship was crammed with treasure and artifacts, and he arrived in the Bahamas, where he had an agreement with the government to share the treasure. However he was greeted by the armed guards and banished by the government. The Bahamians demanded the return of all the treasure that Marx's group had recovered, while the treasure hunters did not want to give up their hard-found artifacts. The controversy became an international incident, with new Prime Minister Darrell Rolle, ordered the treasure hunters to return all items to Nassau within the week. He think it must be the curse of the ship. He could never return to the site again, but he was the only one who knew exactly where it was.

An excellent Maravillas piece of 8 coins, owned by Marex

After 15 years, Marx made arrangements with other divers that were not banned by the government of the Bahamas. Memphis-based Herbo Humphries and his company, Marex, have worked the wreck with their ship, Beacon and have brought up millions in gold, jewels and other artifacts, with Marx receiving a percentage of the profits. He said, “I’ve found multi-millions on the Maravilla, but there were many debts to investors, the governments of the Bahamas and then Spain stepped in, it’s been both a blessing and a curse.”

Sources :
The Hunt for Amazing Treasures by Sondra Farrell Bazrod;;

Pic Source :;
04:17 | 0 komentar

The Round Tower of Copenhagen

The Round Tower (Rundetaarn) in Central Copenhagen was built by the Danish king Christian IV in the middle of the 1600s. The tower is the oldest preserved astronomic observatory in Europe. It still functions as such, although no longer for scientists, but for amateur astronomers and the public. But there is quite a lot more to it than meets the eye. The most obvious is the riddle at the tower consisting of Latin and Hebrew words and various symbols, which was most likely written by King Christian IV himself. His own rough draft to this cryptic inscription is kept in Denmark's Record Office. So far no one know the meaning of the riddle. Also there is a ghost that was trapped inside the tower.

The Round Tower is a cylindrical tower built in masonry of alternating yellow and red bricks, the colours of the Oldenburgs. The bricks used were manufactured in the Netherlands and are of a hard-burned, slender type known as muffer or mopper. On the rear side, it is attached to the Trinitatis Church, but it has never served as a church tower.

The Kings original idea from the start was to build an observatory identically like Tycho Brahe’s Stjerneborg on the top of the Round Tower with the exact diameter like Stjerneborg’s 15 m. The Tower was completed as an observatory with a little planetarium in 1642 and has a height of almost 40 m including the observatory. The Round Tower is built with a 210 metre long spiral ramp which leads to the top, with 52 windows total; 7 windows on each side; and 24 beams sticking out just below the platform, and on the uppermost facade of the tower there is a gilded inscription like a rebus (riddle). There are several interpretations of the riddle. Thomas Bang interprets it in 1648 as follows: "Guide the learning and justice, God, in the crowned King Christian the Fourth's heart". A lot of cabbalistic symbols can be found as well.

The Rebus Inscription
At the end of the spiral ramp there is a planet plotter, which shows the six inner planets' orbit round the Sun. The present planet plotter was put up in 1822 and is equipped with a clockwork. In the background the northern starry sky is pictured according to Bayer's celestial atlas from the beginning of the 17th century. The planet plotter was first constructed and set up by Ole Romer in 1697, who was convinced of the planets' correct orbit around The Sun, but who, out of veneration for Tycho Brahe, adapted the first planet plotter according to his picture of the world - with The Earth in the center, The Sun moving around The Earth, and the rest of the planets around The Sun. Until 1861 it was used by the University of Copenhagen, but today, anyone can observe the night sky through the fine astronomical telescope of the tower in the winter period. Legendary astronomers having used the observatory include Ole Rømer (1644-1710) and Peder Horrebow (1679-1764).

In 1880 a boy fell down the hollow core of the tower, and was trapped at the bottom for 20 hours and found dead before a mason cut a hole in the central wall and got him out. Sometimes visitors of the Round Tower can still hear the boy crying.

Sources :
Paranormal : ”Exploring the world of the unexplained” Issue 56;;

Pic Source :
04:40 | 0 komentar

Dogu Statues

The Dogu statues crafted by the Jomon people of Japan and dated to about 5000 BC have an oddly mechanical appearance. It tend to have large faces, small arms and hands and compact bodies. Some appear to wear goggles or have "heart-shaped" faces. Most have marks on the face, chest and shoulders, which suggest tattooing and probable incision with bamboo. Dogu first appeared in early Jomon but began to flourish in Middle Jomon through Late Jomon and were found all over Japan with northern Japan, the Tohoku region, yielding the most variety. Archaeologists are baffled by these statues because they resemble no other objects on earth.

Figurine Dogu crafted in the Jomon era

As for Jomon pottery, Dogu has various styles by exhumation area and generation. According to the National Museum of Japanese History, the total number found throughout Japan is approximately 15,000. Most of the Dogu have been found in East Japan and it is rare to find one in West Japan. Now they can be found in the Japan Archaeological Collection of Tohoku University, Sendai and several museum in Japan.

Dogū, Ebisuda Site in Tajiri, Miyagi Prefecture, 1000–400 BCE

Although huge numbers of Dogu statues were dug up by archaeologist in various stages of “detail” but many were found broken, and seemingly on purpose. Unbroken figures are rare, and most are missing an arm, leg or other body part. In many cases, the parts have been cut off. The purpose of the Dogu remains unclear but, most likely, the Dogu acted as effigies of people, that manifested some kind of sympathetic magic. There are many theories on what they were used for with the main agreement being they were a talisman for good health or safe childbirth. As many were excavated in fragments, it's believed that after the wish was fulfilled, or not, the dogu was broken and thrown on the trash heap; that's where many were discovered. Another theory is that these were goddesses to whom Jomon people prayed to for food and health. Other explanations are toys for children, funerary offerings, or objects used in some unknown ritual. And, of course, there are those who believe they were aliens from outer space as ancient astronauts. While Vaughn M. Greene in his books “Astronauts of Ancient Japan and The Six Thousand Year Old Space Suit”, argues that these statues are actually space suits worn by extraterrestrials who visited earth thousands of years ago.

Dogu statues are totally unique. There are no other figures exactly like them in the ancient world. In several years of research, archaeologists have found indications that these same ancient astronauts were seen all over the world. The 7,000-year-old drawings at Val Cominica, Italy, the prehistoric Tassali, Sahara, and ancient Australian Aborigine sketches all show helmeted, suited-up figures. There are statues, such as the Tula giants in Mexico, the Tiahuanaco space gods in Bolivia, the Cro-Magnon Venus cult of Europe, which show similar features. Figurines of the 8,000-year-old Mohenjo Daro culture in India are almost identical.

Sources :
UFO’s and Popular Cultures : “An Encyclopedia of Contemporary Myth” by James R. Lewis;;;;

Pic Source :;
04:22 | 0 komentar

The Unsolved Mystery of Ourang Medan

A bizzare incident occurred when a distress calls were picked up by numerous ships near Indonesia in 1948. The SOS calls came from SS Ourang Medan. The signals claimed, "All officers including captain are dead lying in chartroom and bridge. Possibly whole crew dead." This message was followed by indecipherable Morse code then, "I die." The S.S. Ourang Medan was a Dutch cargo ship, which, became a shipwreck in Indonesian waters after its entire crew had died under suspicious circumstances with no survivors and no visible signs of injuries on the dead bodies. To this day, the exact fate of the Ourang Medan and her crew remain a seemingly impenetrable mystery.

City of Baltimore

In February 1948 a series of distress calls were sent out by the Dutch freighter Ourang Medan in the Straits of Malacca, Indonesia. Two American vessels navigating the Strait of Malacca, the City of Baltimore and the Silver Star, among others, picked up distress messages. Within hours of the first distress signals, the first rescue ship Silver Star arrived on the scene. Upon arrival, the rescue vessel tried to hail the Ourang Medan but there was no response to their hand and whistle signals.

The Silver Star crew boarded the apparently undamaged Ourang Medan in a rescue attempt. The SOS message proved correct; every member of the Ourang Medan’s crew lay dead, the ship was found littered with corpses in what appeared to be terrified postures. All the crew and officers of the Ourang Medan were dead, with their eyes open, faces looking towards the sun, arms outstretched and a look of terror on their faces. The crew’s corpses lay scattered on the decks. The captain laid dead on the bridge, his officers in the wheelhouse, chartroom and wardroom all deceased. A trip to the communications room revealed the author of the SOS messages, also dead, his hand still on the Morse sending key, eyes wide open and teeth bared. Strangely, there was no sign of wounds or injuries on any of the bodies. Even the ship's dog was dead, found snarling at some unseen enemy. When nearing the bodies in the boiler room, the rescue crew felt a chill though the temperature was near 110°F.

The decision was made to tow the ship back to port. Unfortunately, as the ship was prepared to be towed, smoke began rolling up from the hull. The rescue crew left the ship and barely had time to cut the tow lines before the Ourang Medan exploded and sank.

Authors such as Jessup speculate that the crew might have been attacked by UFOs or paranormal forces prior to their deaths. Circumstantial evidence cited by these sources includes the apparent absence of a natural cause of death, the reportedly terrified expressions on the faces of the deceased, and rumors that some of the dead were "pointing" towards an unknown enemy.

Roy Bainton, a maritime researcher and former seaman, said if we want to try and explain the obstinate absence of the illfated Orang Medan from official records, we must look at the political turmoil which existed throughout Indonesia in the immediate postwar years. The logbook went down with the ship and there was no mention of the Ourang Medan in the registers after 1948. Then came a breakthrough, a 32 page booklet entitled “The Death Ship in the South Sea”, written in 1954 by a now deceased German researcher, who named the City of Baltimore as receiving the SOS calls and the Grace Lines Silver Star as the boarding ship. But it appears that an inspection of Grace Lines records has not yet been achieved.

Roy Bainton tells more about the ship and her cargo as revealed in the booklet. She appear to have been carrying a rather old cargo, part of which included potassium cyanide and nitro-glycerine. Bainton and others, hypothesize that the Ourang Medan might have been involved in smuggling operations of chemical substances such as a combination of potassium cyanide and nitroglycerin or even wartime stocks of nerve agents. According to these theories, sea water would have entered the ship's hold, reacting with the cargo to release toxic gases, which then caused the crew to succumb to asphyxia and/or poisoning. But here's another mystery; if a gas leak killed the crew, what caused the boilers to blow up? was the final explosion another accident or an officially ordered scuttling?

Sources :;;;

Pic Source :
04:08 | 1 komentar

Lost City of Iram

The great H. P. Lovecraft, achieved early fame with his 1921 story, The Nameless City. It tells the story of Abdul Alhazarad, an Arab scholar whose quest for the secrets of black magic led him into a remote, forbidding area of the Sahara Desert. There, he stumbled upon an ancient city unknown to the outside world, a center for sorcery and witchcraft, inhabited by djinni and afreets, the ghouls and demons of Semitic folklore. Passing through the dark streets and among the lofty columns of Iram, as the gloomy city was known to its residents, he entered the temple of their patron deity, Cthulhu, a satanic figure. The high priest in attendance entrusted him with a thaumaturgic tome, the Al Azif. But translating its horrific text into Latin as the Necronomicon proved too much for Abdul, and he went raving mad before completing his task. While most readers assume The Nameless City was an entirely original creation of Lovecraft’s fertile imagination, he actually based it on ancient Arab oral accounts.

Bedouin myth described “Iram of the Pillars” (Iramu dat al-`imad) as a large, deeply prehistoric metropolis built after the great flood by a race of giants, the Ahd-al-Jann, in an uninhabitable area of the Arabian Peninsula known as the Rub-el-Khali, or “Empty Quarter.” The city was said to have been a headquarters for the muqarribun, “Ghost Priests” of a profane, pre-Islamic cult. They worshiped Khadhulu (Lovecraft’s Cthulhu), mentioned as a devilish conception in the fragmentary Al-Khaddif manuscript, which became the short story author’s Al Azif.

Iram was also uncommonly rich, thanks in large measure to its trade in al-luban— “the milk”—an aromatic resin taken from the bark of bosellia trees for the production of costly perfumes sought after by wealthy clients, and used in sacred rituals. Prized by the ancient Romans as olibanum for temple ceremonies, the substance was reintroduced sometime thereafter by the Franks, from which its modern name, frankincense, derived.

From early medieval times, it was an integral part of Christian church services in large measure because al-luban had always been associated with the banishment of evil influences. But its alleged purgative powers were inadequate to rid Iram of its muqarribun, djinni and afreets, even after Hud, a virtuous prophet, had been sent by God to convert the residents from their wicked ways. As punishment, Allah afflicted them with a horrible drought, then caused a disastrous sandstorm to engulf the entire city. When the catastrophic whirlwind passed, the formerly splendid urban center had vanished without a trace beneath the sands of the empty quarter. The sinful city was supposed to have been swallowed whole by the desert. The Holy Qur'an mentions a certain city by the name of Iram (a city of pillars) which was apparently not known in ancient history and non-existent as far as historians were concerned [Qur'an: Al-Fajr (The Dawn) 89:6-13], 6: Have you not considered how your Lord dealt with 'Aad - 7: [With] Iram - who had lofty pillars, 8: The likes of whom had never been created in the land? 9: And [with] Thamud, who carved out the rocks in the valley? 10: And [with] Pharaoh, owner of the stakes? - 11: [All of] whom oppressed within the lands 12: And increased therein the corruption. 13: So your Lord poured upon them a scourge of punishment.

Ruins of Iram-Ubar

In 1968, however, the mists of legend began to coalesce into archaeological reality when Paolo Matthiae and his colleagues from the University of Rome La Sapienza, digging at an unidentified site at Tell Mardikh, in Syria, less than 35 miles southwest of Aleppo, excavated a statue dedicated to the Babylonian goddess Ishtar.
The city was discovered to be 4,300 years old. Its base was inscribed with the words, “Ibbit-Lim, King of Ebla,” a city that had vanished no less thoroughly than Iram. Ebla, though, had been known to exist, because it was occasionally cited by dynastic Egyptian and Akkadian bureaucrats.

Ebla was itself destroyed in 2240 B.C., when Sarru-kinu, Sargon of Akkad, overthrew Sumerian civilization. The city was thereafter reoccupied by a Semitic people, the Amorites, who restored enough former prosperity to make it the target of another conqueror, the Hittite king, Mursili I, in 1600 B.C. His attack represented a deathblow from which Ebla never recovered, lingering on as a small village until the 7th century A.D., when its ruins were finally abandoned and covered by the sands of time. But during exhaustive examination of the Tell Mardikh tablets, archaeologists were surprised to find documentation of the “legendary” Iram, which the Elbaites clearly knew as a real place where they engaged in trade for many years. They referred to it as Iruma, the “City of Towers,” which subsequent traditions garbled as “Pillars.” Iruma or Iram was actually a title bestowed on the city, just as New York is today known as “The Big Apple,” or Chicago is called “The Windy City.” The lost city’s real name was Ubar, or “Ubar of the High Towers. The Ebla inscriptions also refer to Iruma-Ubar as a cult capital where all the profane arts of black magic and thaumaturgy flourished, just as portrayed in Bedouin myth.

In the early 1980s a group of researchers interested in the history of Iram used NASA remote sensing satellites, ground penetrating radar, Landsat program data and images taken from the Space Shuttle Challenger as well as SPOT data to identify old camel train routes and points where they converged. These roads were used as frankincense trade routes around 2800 BC to 100 BC. One area in the Dhofar province of Oman was identified as a possible location for an outpost of the lost civilization. A team including adventurer Ranulph Fiennes, archaeologist Juris Zarins, filmmaker Nicholas Clapp, and lawyer George Hedges, scouted the area on several trips, and stopped at a water well called Ash Shisar.

NASA Landsat Image of Ancient Trail

Subsequent digs near the Ash Shisar oasis, amid ruins previously identified as a 16th century Shis'r fort, soon unearthed Iram-Ubar. The excavated city showed every sign of fabulous wealth, resulting from extensive trade between the coastal regions and population centers of the Middle East, where it was a commercial center between Asia and Europe. Copious amounts of frankincense, the fragrant resin associated with stories of Iram, were discovered at the site, the remnants of which likewise disclosed the nature of its disappearance. This older fort was found to have been built on top of a large limestone cavern which would have served as the water source for the fort, making it an important oasis on the trade route to Iram.

As the residents of the fort consumed the water from underground, the water table fell, leaving the limestone roof and walls of the cavern dry. Without the support of the water, the cavern would have been in danger of collapse, and it seems to have done so some time between 300-500 AD, destroying the oasis and covering over the water source. Four subsequent excavations were conducted by Dr. Juris Zarins, tracing the historical presence by the people of 'Ad, the assumed ancestral builders of Iram.

If, as Arabic myth relates, the Ahd-al-Jann ('Ad) built Iram five generations following the flood, that would place its construction around 2975 B.C. Again, this date coincides remarkably well with organic materials retrieved from Ubar, where carbondating analysis established the city’s completion shortly after the turn of the 3rd millennium B.C. The Ahd-al-Jann builders were themselves described in Bedouin folkfolklore as a tribe of the Adites, remarkably skilled architects and builders who raised great stone monuments. Even today, rural Saudi Arabian tribes refer to any ancient ruins of prodigious size as buildings of the Adites. The Adites are regarded as the earliest inhabitants of Arabia, and referred to as red men, for the light color of their hair. Several accounts of Atlantis (Egyptian, Irish, Winnebago, etc.), depict the Atlanteans, at least in part, as redheads.

It would appear, then, that fifth generation survivors from one of several natural catastrophes that devastated the kingdom of Atlantis fifty centuries ago built Iram-Ubar in what is today the Dhofar Province of southern Oman. It grew to become one of history’s longest-lived cities, flourishing for some 3,500 years, until it suffered a fatal disaster different from, yet strangely parallel to, the far more potent cataclysm that overwhelmed the Atlantis of its founding fathers’ ancestors.

Sources :
Atlantis Rising Magazine Vol. 70 : “Atlantis of the Sands?” by Frank Joseph;

Pic Source :
Atlantis Rising Magazine Vol. 70 : “Atlantis of the Sands?” by Frank Joseph page 46;
Atlantis Rising Magazine Vol. 70 : “Atlantis of the Sands?” by Frank Joseph page 47
03:58 | 5 komentar

Castle Warden Museum

The Castle Warden museum, in the United States’ oldest city, St. Augustine, Florida, is, like the city itself. "The Castle" was originally a Moorish Revival style mansion, built in 1887 by millionaire William Warden as a winter home. Pulitzer-Prize winning novelist, Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings later purchased it. Resembling a medieval fortress, Castle Warden became a hotel in the 1940s, where the cartoonist, entrepreneur and amateur anthropologist, Robert Ripley was a frequent visitor. Robert Ripley, tried to purchase the building, unsuccessfully. He felt the building would be perfect to house his unusual collection of oddities from his travels around the world. Finally it was acquired by Ripley’s heirs following his death in 1949 and, soon after, opened as the original Ripley’s Believe It or Not museum in December 1950, housing artifacts from Ripley’s personal collection of oddities and curiosities from around the world. Perhaps not surprisingly, it is also rumored to be haunted.

Ripley's oldest Odditorium, located in the Castle Warden, Florida

Visitors claim to have heard mysterious voices and seen ghostly apparitions. Prior to becoming home to Ripley's vast collections from his many travels, "The Castle" as it is known, was once a hotel which played host to many famous guests, including Ripley himself and author/previous owner Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings and her husband Norton Baskin.

The popularity and success of this museum led Ripley's associates to open new establishments throughout the United States and the world. But "The Castle" remains the permanent home of Ripley's personal collections and is the flagship of the Odditoriums. Segments of the most recent Ripley's TV series were filmed here, including the opening credits. Among the attractions here are a mummified cat, an Abraham Lincoln life mask, a vampire-slaying kit, the erector set Ferris wheel that’s two stories high and took one man 17 years to make, and shamanistic apparati from cultures around the world. Apparently, as well as looking at such strange items, visitors have also been experiencing something even weirder.

According to staff, paranormal activity is rife at the castle. Reports of mysterious voices or glimpses of apparitions in the massive four-storey building are frequent. Allegedly some claim to smell smoke from a fire in the 1940s that killed two women when the building was a hotel. Police have even been called to the museum after a woman was seen in distress at an upstairs window. The window has been boarded up since the 1950s. Others have often experienced paranormal activity in the museum’s gift shop, lobby, and various rooms. The famous TAPS team from TV’s Ghost Hunters led an investigation of the building in October 2009.

Sources :
Paranormal : Exploring the World of the Unexplained Issue 54, Dec 2010;!;;

Pic Source :
04:14 | 0 komentar

Neolithic Tools from The California Gold Mine

In the middle of the nineteenth century, miners discovered hundreds of stone artifacts and human skeletons deep inside their tunnels at Table Mountain and other locations in the gold mining region. These bones and artifacts were found embedded in formations that geologists now say belong to the Eocene period (38-55 million years). This evidence was reported to the scientific world by Dr. J. D. Whitney, the chief government geologist of California, in his book The Auriferous Gravels of the Sierra Nevada of California, published by Harvard University’s Peabody Museum of Comparative Zoology in 1880. But the evidence was dropped from scientific discourse because it contradicted with the current Darwinist explanations of human origins. In 1849, gold was discovered in the gravels of ancient riverbeds on the slopes of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in central California, drawing hordes of rowdy adventurers to places like Brandy City, Last Chance, Lost Camp, You Bet, and Poker Flat.

At first, solitary miners panned for flakes and nuggets in the gravels that had found their way into the present streambeds. But soon gold-mining companies brought more extensive resources into play, some sinking shafts into mountainsides, following the gravel deposits wherever they led, while others washed the auriferous (gold-bearing) gravels from hillsides with high-pressure jets of water. The miners found hundreds of stone artifacts, and, more rarely, human fossils. The most significant artifacts were reported to the scientific community by Dr. J. D. Whitney.

The artifacts from surface deposits and hydraulic mining were of doubtful age, but the artifacts from deep mine shafts and tunnels could be more securely dated. J. D. Whitney thought the geological evidence indicated the auriferous gravels were at least Pliocene in age. But modern geologists think some of the gravel deposits are from the Eocene. Many shafts were sunk at Table Mountain in Tuolumne County, going under thick layers of a basaltic volcanic material called latite before reaching the gold-bearing gravels. In some cases, the shafts extended horizontally for hundreds of feet beneath the latite cap. Discoveries from the gravels just above the bedrock could be from 33.2 to 55 million years old, but discoveries from other gravels may be anywhere from 9 to 55 million years old.

William B. Holmes, a physical anthropologist at the Smithsonian Institution, said, “If Professor Whitney had fully appreciated the story of human evolution as it is understood today , he would have hesitated to announce the conclusions formulated, notwithstanding the imposing array of testimony with which he was confronted.” In other words, if the evidence did not fit the theory, then the evidence had to be set aside, which is exactly what happened. Today, some of the artifacts mentioned by Whitney are still in the Phoebe Hearst Museum of Anthropology at the University of California at Berkeley.

Darwinism and other isms also influenced the treatment of archaeological evidence at Hueyatlaco, Mexico. In the 1970s, archaeologists led by Cynthia Irwin-Williams found stone tools associated with butchered animal bones in excavations there. A team of geologists, including Virginia Steen-McIntyre, came in to date the site. Using four different methods (uranium series dates on butchered animal bone, zircon fission track dating on volcanic layers above the artifact layers, tephra hydration dating of volcanic crystals found in the volcanic layers above the artifact layers, and standard stratigraphic analysis), the geologists determined the age of the site was at least 250,000 years.

The archaeologists refused to accept an age this great for the site, because: (1) they believed no human beings capable of making such artifacts existed 250,000 years ago anywhere in the world and (2) they believed no human beings entered North America until about 15,000 or 20,000 years ago, maximum.

Sources :
Atlantis Rising Magazine Vol. 44 : The Forbidden Archaeology by Michael Cremo;
The Hiden History of the Human Race by Michael Cremo and Richard L. Thompson

Pic Source :
Atlantis Rising Magazine Vol. 44 : The Forbidden Archaeology by Michael Cremo page 20
04:23 | 0 komentar


Imp or impe in Old English means a young plant shoot or a tree sapling. Over the years, the word came to refer to smallish entities that were direct offspring of the Devil and sent from hell to do evil deeds to humans on Earth. Imps might disguise themselves as black cats, owls, ravens, or some other animal and serve as a witch’s familiar. In many of the transcripts of the European witchcraft trials, the demonic spirit given by the Devil to a witch to do his or her bidding was referred to as an imp. Imps are often shown as small and not very attractive creatures. Their behavior is described as being wild and uncontrollable, much the same as fairies, and in some cultures they are considered the same beings, both sharing the same sense of free spirit and enjoyment of all things fun.

It was later in history that people began to associate fairies with being good and imps with being malicious and evil. Though imps are often thought of as being immortal, many cultures believed that they could be damaged or harmed by certain weapons and enchantments, or be kept out of people's homes by the use of wards.

Imps have also been described as being “bound” or contained in some sort of object, such as a sword or crystal ball. In other cases imps were simply kept in a certain object and summoned only when their masters had need of them. Some even had the ability to grant their owners wishes, much like a genie. This was the object of the 1891 story The Bottle Imp by Robert Louis Stevenson, which told of an imp contained in a bottle that would grant the owner their every wish, the catch being that the owners soul would be sent to hell if they didn't sell the bottle to a new owner before their death.

In most of the descriptions of imps given by witches or those theologians who claimed to have exorcised the entities, their appearance apart from the animals they possessed was always a solid black in color. Since they were creatures without souls sired by the Devil, imps were condemned to be dark shadow beings, forever denied the light of God.

Imps can be found in art and architecture through out the world, for example the famous Lincoln Imp. According to legend, the Lincoln imp was a demon, blown into Lincoln Cathedral by a terrible storm. This mischievous imp proceeded to dance on the altar, tripped up the Bishop, knocked over the Dean and teased the choir! The Cathedral's guardian angels witnessed this chaos and turned the imp into stone, placing him high up above the Angel Choir. Only some 12 inches high, the mischievous imp has probably lured more people to Lincoln Cathedral than anything else. The Lincoln imp has even been adopted as the unofficial symbol of the city.

Sources :
The Gale Encyclopedia of the Unusual and Unexplained Vol. 3 by Brad Steiger and Sherry Hansen Steiger;;

Pic Source :
04:39 | 0 komentar

Recent Post

Recent Posts Widget


Popular Posts