Unsolved Mystery of Mount Padang

On September 2014, Mount Padang (Gunung Padang), research team stated that they had just discovered the walls structure underneath the surface of the terrace 5, the highest area of the site. Mount Padang is located in the middle of several big mountains. On the west side there is Mount Karuhun, east side is Mount Pasir Malang, and on the south side is Mount Malati, Mount Pasir Empet and Mount Batu, Cianjur, West Java. According to Erik Rizki, the research team secretary, the wall structure leading to a hole with 3.3 meters depth. He said that the wall man-made structure and composed of andesite rocks which glued together by some sort of ancient cement. Site of Mount Padang discovered in 1949 by the local villagers. But, the government officially maintained it since 1979. Recent excavation took place on 14 September 2014. 

Mount Padang consists of a series of rectangular stone enclosures with inner partitions, walkways and gate entrances, as well as various rock mounds, all of them in a ruinous state and scattered all over the place. They are constructed of andesite rocks, with pillars or columnar blocks which resemble dolmen (similar those used in the construction of the ancient city of Nan Madol). The size of the blocks varies between 25 centimetres and 40 centimetres in width and height, and on average around 1.5 metres in length, with a weight of approximately 250 kilograms. Some of blocks, which have either a roughly square or polygonal profile, are actually much larger in size, with weights exceeding 600 kilograms. Who the builder and for what purposes this site are still unknown.
Terrace Structure of Mount Padang
The various structures occupy five separate terraces, or courtyards, each linked by ascending staircases marked with standing pillars. These terraces rise in steps to a height of around 960 metres above sea-level, and cover an area of approximately 900 square metres. These courtyards are accessed from the north-northwest via an ascending staircase of 370 steps, which rises at an almost 45º angle. This starts in the valley below, and from its base to the highest terrace it is about 90 metres. Each terrace is positioned one in front of the other on a north-northwest-facing hill formation that is volcanic in nature. Indeed, many geologists believe this is the source of the andesite pillars used to create the stone settings, a fact disputed in the light of recent discoveries. Various artifacts were also found in that structure.
The mysterious rocks on Mount Padang site

Core drilling samples and other exploratory excavations have uncovered evidence that Mount Padang is a multi-leveled structure, one phase being built on top of the next, with evidence of activity on the hill at 22,000-20,000 BC, 14,700 BC, 9,600 BC, 4700 BC and 2800 BC, the final date being the age of the megalithic structures visible today. Indeed, Danny Hilman and his team now believe that the entire hill is an artificial pyramid of incredible antiquity. If correct, this would make it the oldest built structure anywhere in the world. The ranges of dates cited above derive from carbon-14 testing of organic materials taken from core drilling samples extracted from a series of different depths.

On saturday (14/09), the excavation team found an artifact resemble a 'kujang' (cleaver). The tapered section has a length of 22 cm and a width of 7 cm. According to Erik, based on the size and dimension of the cleaver, it indicates that the ancestors who live in Mount Padang are familiar with geometry. It also has another uniqueness. According to Erik, it's got a cleaver magnetic anomalies.
Kujang Mount Padang

"It has three sides. Three sides were only able to respond to the same magnetic poles," Erik said when contacted Kompas.com, Wednesday (17/09).

According to Asep, the keeper of Mount padang site, although believed to be the relics of 5,000 years old civilization, the site was used by the old kingdoms in West Java. Among them, the Kingdom of Pajajaran and the Kingdom of Siliwangi. That is proved by the discovery of ancient coins from China that has been found in front of the pool inside Mount Padang site. Apparently the coins came from the Kingdom of Siliwangi era. However, coin-shaped artifacts which were found on Monday, September 15, 2014, it is believed to be not as a means of transaction, but rather resembles as an Amulet. Beside the discovery of the coin, they also found the shards of pottery from the Ming Dynasty (1386-1644) and Song Dynasty (960-1272).


02:58 | 0 komentar

The Patomskiy Crater

Located on a slope of Patomskiy upland in Irkutsk, Siberia, about 360 km from the district center Bodaibo, Patomskiy Crater is a crater made of shattered calcareous blocks. The mysterious crater was named Patomskiy after a nearby river and first discovered in 1949 by Vadim Kolpakov, a geologist. At that time, while on expedition, Kolpakov traveled deep into almost uncharted territory, the local Yakut people warned him not to go on explaining there was an evil place deep in the woods that even the animals avoided. They called it the “Fire Eagle Nest” and claimed that people would simply disappear without a trace. The origin of the Patomskiy crater has baffled scientists for decades and theories for its existence have ranged from a nuclear blast to a secret gulag mine and even a meteorite strike.

It is a large mound of limestone with a diameter of about 160 meters and a height of about 40 m, while the crest's diameter is 76 m. The cone's crown is formed like a ring shaft. The depth of the inner circle ditch is around 12 m. The volume of the crater is estimated as 230-250 thousand cubic meters. 

Theories that the crater is a giant slagheap have been thrown out as there were not enough people living nearby when the crater is thought to have formed to create such a pile. And there were never labour camps or gulags in the region. Half a tonne of samples were taken from the site and removed by helicopter on 2013.

The Patomskiy Crater

The samples led scientists to dismiss ideas of a uranium ore explosion as the background radiation at the site is low and no uranium has been found nearby either. This left them with two main theories – one of a volcano and another of a meteorite. However, there aren't any meteoritic material to be found and the area is not thought to be volcanic.

In fact there are no volcanoes within thousands of kilometres of the Patomskiy crater and it also seems to be relatively new. Kolpakov estimated it as around 250 years old, a figure supported by later studies of nearby tree growth. Interestingly, the crater is seemed ‘alive’ because its shape changes constantly - by rising and falling - and the trees also seemed to have undergone a period of accelerated growth similar to that seen in the forests around Chernobyl.

Many even think that there is a UFO hidden underneath the crater. In 2005, an expedition was launched in the hopes of finding some answers—but then tragedy struck. The leader of the expedition died of a heart attack just a few kilometers away from the site. The locals were convinced it was the “evil” crater that led to his death.




Pic Source:
05:16 | 0 komentar

25 Students Possessed by Spirit After Playing Jailangkung

On early September 2014, a total of 25 students of State Elementary School (SDN) 02 Susukan, Ciracas, East Jakarta, had possession after playing Jailangkung (Jelangkung). Kasirin, The headmaster of SDN 02 Susukan, said that the strange incident occurred at 10:00 pm when students are resting. Based on his statement, some of the 6th grade male students playing  jelangkung by using paper and money as offering to the spirit.

When trying to summon spirits with the phrase "datang tak dijemput, pulang tak diantar" and it turns out that students do not complete the ritual, and then the unfortunate event occurred.

They were possessed by spirits for around 40 minutes. Some of them running around, crying, and the rest of them shouting hysterically," he said.

Jailangkung doll

The school teachers was shocked with the behavior of dozens of 12 years old students. Immediately, they were calling religious leaders nearby the school. After having recited prayers, dozens of the possessed students began to calm.

Worries similar events occurred again and widespread to other students, the schools then asked all of their students to return to their homes.




Pic Source:
15:40 | 0 komentar

Hitobashira The Human Pillar

Hitobashira or Hitomi-goku (Human Pillar) is a human sacrifice in Japan, usually buried alive under massive buildings such as bridges, castles, dams as an offering to the gods. Living people could be sealed into buildings which would apparently please the gods and ensure stability and longevity of the construction in question. Bones and other remains have been found on-site of several different locations, at least raises the possibility that some human sacrifice may have been involved in the making of these buildings.

According to Nihon Shoki or The Chronicles of Japan", the Kitakawa and Mamuta rivers overflowed in the 11th year of the reign of the Emperor Nintoku (323 A.D.) Meanwhile the Emperor had a divine revelation in his dream that he must sacrifice two persons to the deities of the two rivers respectively, then the construction of embankments would be easily achieved. One in the province of Musashi named Kowakubi and another one from the province of Kawachi named Koromono-ko. Soonafter, Kowakubi was subsequently thrown into the torrent of the Kitakawa river, with a prayer offered to the deity of river. Through the sacrifice it was possible to construct the embankment completely, however Koromono-ko able to escape being sacrificed. At that time, Koromono-ko, brought out 2 gourds, and throwing them into the torrent he addresses the deity of the river and saids that he came to the river to sacrifice himself and stop the calamity that inflict the villagers. If the deity of the river can sink the gourds, then he will gladly sacrifice himself however if the deity can't sink them, then the deity is not the true god of the river. After he said that, a whirling wind blew as though trying to submerge the gourds. But the gourds keep floating on top of the waves, they did not sink and Koromono-ko had saved his life.

The Nihon Shoki which contains this tradition was compiled by Prince Toneri and Ono Yasumaro and completed in the fourth year of Yoro (720 A.D.), the work being entrusted to them by the Empress Gensho. It contains the mythological ages and the early historic times of Japan, from the accession of the Emperor Jimmu (660 B.C.) to the abdication of the Empress Jito (697 A.D.), being one of the most important works for the student of ancient Japan.

The tradition of human sacrifices is also concerned with the building of large bridges. For example, in the Yasiitomi-ki, a diary of the fifteenth century, a famous tradition is contained, called Nagara-no Hitobashira (hitobashira, "human pillar"). According to the tradition, a woman who was carrying a boy on her back was caught while she was passing along the river Nagara, and was buried at the place where a large bridge was then to be built.

Maruoka castle
Another legend called "O-shizu, Hitobashira" also involving human sacrifice. When Shibata Katsutoyo, the nephew of Shibata Katsuie, was building Maruoka castle (also known as Kasumiga Castle), the stone wall of the castle keep collapsed no matter how many times it was piled up. There was one vassal who suggested that they should make someone a human sacrifice (Hitobashira). O-shizu, a one-eyed woman who had two children and lived a poor life, was selected as the "Hitobashira." She resolved to become one on the condition that one of her children should be made a samurai. She was buried under the central pillar of the castle keep. Soon after the construction of the castle keep was successfully completed. However Katsutoyo was transferred to another province, and he was not become a samurai. Her spirit felt resentful, and made the moat overflow with spring rain when the season cutting algae came in April every year. People called the rain as "the rain caused by the tears of O-shizu's sorrow," and local villagers erected a small tomb to soothe her spirit. Later it has been suggested that the instability of the walls of Maruoka Castle was likely caused by the design of the castle.

At the Sakato-no shrine at Sakato-ichiba in the province of Kazusa, there is a service which also has some relation with human sacrifice. A person is selected from among the parishioners of this shrine by lot, and he is brought before the shrine and there he is put to a chopping-block. A person called Hitotsu-mono performs a mimic ceremony as though to kill him. The rite is said to be the relic of a human sacrifice which it was once a rule to offer to the god of this shrine.

There is also a ritual at the annual festival of the Juzo shrine at Wajima-cho in the province of Noto, which is symbolic of a human sacrifice. The essential offering in this ritual consists in the so-called sacred water kept in a chest covered with a shoulder costume and a rosary, and this offering is carried to the shrine at midnight.

Based on local legend, Matsue Castle is also said to have been constructed using human sacrifice that was buried under the castle's stone walls. During construction, the stone wall of the central tower collapsed on multiple occasions. The builders decided to look for a suitable person at the local Bon festival because they Convinced that a Hitobashira would stabilize the structure. From the crowd, they selected a beautiful young maiden who demonstrated superb Bon dancing skills. After whisking her away from the festival and sealing her in the wall, the builders were able to complete the castle without incident. After the castle was built, a law was passed forbidding any girl to dance in the streets of Matsue because the hill Oshiroyama would shudder and the castle would shake from "top to bottom"

According to Pinktentacle.com, there are Other notable structures rumored to make use of human pillars include:

- Fukushima bridge in Tokushima prefecture
- Gujo-Hachiman castle in Gifu prefecture
- Hattori-Oike reservoir in Hiroshima prefecture
- Imogawa irrigation channel in Nagano prefecture
- Itsukushima shrine in Hiroshima prefecture
- Karigane embankment in Shizuoka prefecture
- Kintaikyou bridge in Yamaguchi prefecture
- Komine castle in Fukushima prefecture
- Manda levee in Osaka prefecture
- Maruoka castle in Fukui prefecture
- Nagahama castle in Shiga prefecture
- Ozu castle in Ehime prefecture

Jomon tunnel, which constructed in 1914, located on the Sekihoku Main Line also possibly use human sacrifice. In 1968, in the aftermath of an earthquake, a number of skeletons were discovered sealed into the walls of the tunnel, standing upright. A large quantity of human bones were also unearthed near the tunnel. The discovery fueled beliefs that the tunnel was constructed with human pillars, and many people -including train conductors- came to fear that the tunnel was haunted by the ghosts of the victims.

Human Sacrifices In Japan by Noritake Tsuda;
The English Found on Signs in the Maruoka Castle Complex Containing the Castle Keep Designated an Important Cultural Property" by Kazundo Fukushima;

Pic Source:
05:59 | 0 komentar

Underwater Pyramid In Azores

On September 2013, a huge underwater pyramid discovered by Portuguese amateur sailor Diocletian Silva at a depth of 40 meters off the coast of Terciera near Portugal in the Azores archipelago. Its base measures 8,000 sq m - bigger than a football field - and Silva believes it was man-made. “The pyramid is perfectly shaped and apparently oriented by the cardinal points,” Silva told Diário Insular, the local newspaper.

The pyramid was found in an area of the mid-Atlantic that has been underwater for about 20,000 years. Considering this is around the time of the last ice age where glaciation was melting from its peak 2000 years prior, whatever civilization, human or not, that was around before the ice age, could be responsible for building the pyramid. The Azorean archipelago was discovered uninhabited by the Portuguese around 1427. 

Image collected by Silva using GPS Technology

One year earlier, archeologists from the Portuguese Association of Archaeological Research found evidence of other rock structures in the area that they believe supports the belief that humans arrived in the Azores thousands of years before the Portuguese.

The structures may have been built according to a plan because they’re aligned with the summer solstices.





Pic Source:
19:07 | 0 komentar

Mystery of The Witch of Scrapfaggot Green

Great Leighs in Essex has acquired a reputation as a haunted village. This is due to ghost stories told about the St Anne's Castle, a local pub, and the Witch of Scrapfaggot Green, whose spirit was alleged to have terrorised the area during World War II. According to articles in the Sunday Pictorial of 8 and 15 October 1944, the village of Great Leighs (Essex) was being plagued by nocturnal accidents to livestock, tools scattered, bells ringing, etc. They said it was because bulldozers widening a lane to a military base had pushed aside a boulder at a crossroads called Scrapfaggot Green - a boulder covering the remains of a witch, together with the fire that burnt her.

The St Anne’s Castle stands prominently on Main Road, the village’s principal street, en route from Chelmsford to Braintree. Philip Morant’s History of Essex (1768) says the building was once a mediaeval hermitage and became an alehouse in the Elizabethan era.

The name 'Scrapfaggot' invites puns, there are historical records of a witchcraft case at nearby Boreham, and there seems to have been a 'Witch Stone' around in the 1930s (even though not at the crossroads). Since the 1980s, a stone outside a pub in Great Leighs is claimed to be the original, supposedly brought there in 1945.

St. Anne's Castle
(photo credit: Robert Halliday from Fortean Times Magazine vol.303)

In October 1944, the Sunday Pictorial, a sister newspaper to the Daily Mirror, ran an article with the headline “The witch walks at Scrapfaggot Green”. Arthur Sykes, who was now an ARP Warden, said: “Every day I hear of new mischief”. Three geese had disappeared from a pen in his back garden. A haystack had collapsed. Alfred Quilter, a local shepherd, found his sheep had moved from their field to another paddock, yet the surrounding hedges and fences were all undamaged. Charlie Dickson, a builder, said heavy scaffolding poles were “scattered in his yard like matchsticks.”The clock on the church tower had been running two hours late, and striking at midnight, despite being fitted with devices to prevent it chiming at
The Sunday Pictorial newspaper ran a story on the Witch of Scrapfaggot Green
(October 1944)

Also there were strange happenings at the Dog and Gun, a pub on the Boreham Road, 2.5 miles (4km) south of the St Anne’s Castle. Paint pots and brushes vanished from outside and were found neatly lined up under a bed in an attic. When some regulars were leaving one night, they nearly fell over a boulder that had seemingly materialised less than five feet (1.5m) from the door of the pub.

Arthur Sykes said that 200 years previously a witch had been burnt at the stake at a crossroads near the Dog and Gun and her remains buried beneath a stone. Ever since, the spot had been known as Scrapfaggot Green.

When Boreham airbase was built, the stone had been moved, thus releasing the witch’s spirit. The villagers declare that their misfortunes dated from the day when American bulldozers widened the road at Scrapfaggot Green, the centre of the village, thus displacing a two-ton stone that marked the remains of a 17th-century witch who had been buried (with a stake through her chest) at the crossroads there. Now, she was terrorising the area, even moving her stone to the Dog and Gun! The News Chronicle reported that some villagers had mounted night-time patrols to catch the culprit.

The US magazine 'Time' reported the story, saying that the morning after the stone was replaced it had been moved again, with a message on it saying ‘non in sum’, Latin for ‘not here’ or ‘nobody home’.Two weeks later, the Evening News said that flowers had been placed on the stone.

Meanwhile the Sunday Pictorial contacted the celebrated psychic researcher Harry Price, whose best-known investigation at Borley Rectory had resulted in his 1940 book "The Most Haunted House in England". Price, Arthur Sykes and the Sunday Pictorial reporters decided to lay the witch’s spirit to rest by returning the stone from the Dog and Gun to her grave at Scrapfaggot Green. However, before they could do so, another farmer found rabbits in his chicken coop.

Then Price told the villagers that if they believed the witch to be responsible for their troubles, the logical thing to do was to restore her tombstone to its original site. This they did, ceremonially, at midnight on October 11-12, 1944, placing the stone east and west in the traditional manner. The phenomena ceased.

A Dictionary of English Folklore by Jacqueline Simpson, Stephen Roud;
Fortean Times Magazine Vol. 303, July 2013: "The Witch of Scrapfaggot Green" by Robert Halliday

Pic Source:
Fortean Times Magazine Vol. 303, July 2013: "The Witch of Scrapfaggot Green" by Robert Halliday page 30 & 32
18:31 | 2 komentar

Mngwa The Great Gray Ghost

The Mngwa ("the strange one") is the "great gray ghost" of East Africa. Natives of the former Tanganyika (now Tanzania) insist that the mngwa is not simba (the lion). They have known of the Mngwa for hundreds of years, describing the animal as an extremely aggressive, gigantic, with the size of a donkey and gray stripes like a tabby cat. The creature has small ears, thick tail and nocturnal. Has been heard to purr. Known to have raided villages in order to kill adults and carry off children. Most sightings occurred on the Tanzania coast near Lindi and Mchinga.

English contact with the animal began, in earnest, in the 1900s. In 1922, William Hichens was magistrate of Lindi, Tanzania, when several constables were killed or mangled by a huge cat with gray fur. Another outbreak of maulings took place at Mchinga in the 1930s. During the 1930s and 1940s, the Mngwa was commonly known by the name Nunda, but because of the books of Gardner Soule (The Mystery Monsters and The Maybe Monsters) and Bernard Heuvelmans, Mngwa is the appellation now more frequently employed. An influential, openminded discussion of this cryptid appeared in the then-world-famous British scientific journal Discovery in 1938.

The Mngwa, a striped big cat of East Africa. (William M. Rebsamen)
In Frank W. Lane's 1954 issue of Nature Parade, Lane writes of his interview with Patrick Bowen, a hunter, who tracked a Mngwa. Bowen remarked that the animal's tracks were like those of the leopard but much larger. The fur was brindled but visibly different from a leopard's. Lane, a cryptozoologist before the label even existed, speculated that nineteenth-century reports of attacks by the South African chimiset, usually associated with the Nandi Bear, might more plausibly be linked to the Mngwa. Bernard Heuvelmans theorizes that the Mngwa may be an abnormally colored specimen of some known species or that it may be a larger subspecies of the golden cat (Profelis aurata).

According to Eberhart, several possible explanations about the creature as follows:
  • A surviving species of one of several large African fossil cats from the Pleistocene.
  • An unknown, giant subspecies of the African golden cat (Felis aurata), which has a wide variety of coloration, from golden to dark gray, and is reputed to be highly aggressive when cornered. It occasionally raids villages for poultry.

Cryptozoology A to Z: "The Encyclopedia of Loch Monsters, Sasquatch, Chupacabras, and Other Authentic Mysteries of Nature by Loren Coleman & Jerome Clark;

Mysterious Creatures: "A Guide to Cryptozoology" by George M. Eberhart;


Pic Source:
Mysterious Creatures: "A Guide to Cryptozoology" by George M. Eberhart page 33
17:13 | 0 komentar

Silver Cliff Ghost Lights

In the little town of Silver Cliff, found in the Wet Mountain Valley of Colorado, ghost lights have been seen in the local cemetery for more than a century. According to Wikipedia, the lights, which according to reports look like blue lantern lights or white spheres, are said to float through the cemetery and bounce on the headstones. The lights were featured in the August 1969 National Geographic Magazine, Volume 136, No. 2. The lights can never be approached in order to gain a closer look. As soon as anyone comes too near, the lights disappear, only to pop up again in another section of the cemetery.

Silver Cliff Cemetery is split into two sections of cemeteries, one for the Catholics, and one for the Protestants. The prior being Silver Cliff Cemetery and the later is called Cross of the Assumption. Cross of the Assumption has a large white cross in it that seems to glow in the bright moonlight. Each are known for being host to glowing balls of light that meander from cemetery to cemetery and wander among the gravestones.
The story of the ghost lights of Silver Cliff first reached public attention in the spring of 1956, when an article on the mystery appeared in the Wet Mountain Tribune,  when some observers of the spook lights noted that the bluish colored illuminations could not be seen as clearly on the sandstone markers, many spectators became convinced that the lights were only a reflection of houselights in the valley.
Silver Cliff Cemetery
Local folklore has it that the lights were first seen by a group of miners passing by the cemetery in 1880. When the miners saw the flickering blue lights over the gravestones, they left the vicinity in a hurry. Since then, the lights have been observed by generations of residents of Custer County. The cemetery was the final resting place for many miners who lost their lives digging for precious ores in local caverns.

According to legend, the flickering lights of the graveyard are the ever-glowing searchlights found atop the miners’ caps; the lights guide the spirits of the long-passed miners, still searching for the silver they never found.

In 1880 Silver Cliff boasted a population of 5,087; by the early twenty first century it had only a few hundred inhabitants and had almost become a ghost town. On August 20, 1967, the New York Times carried a story on the phenomena. In the article, county judge August Menzel gives the account of the night inhabitants of both Silver Cliff and nearby Westcliff turned off all of their lights, including street lights, “but the graveyard lights still danced.” Other rationalists have believed the Silver Cliff ghost lights to be caused by the reflections of stars. Yet the lights are just as clear on starless, moonless nights. Some have tried to prove that the lights are caused by phosphorescent ore, or glowing wood, but the darker the night, the brighter the lights. It has also been suggested that radioactive ores cause the flickering lights. Geiger counters have been employed to cover the entire area, but no radioactivity has been discovered.

Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits, and Haunted Places by Brad Steiger;

Pic Source:
07:57 | 0 komentar

Atala The White Island

One of the oldest of the Hindu Puranas called The Vishnu Purana, speaks of "Atala, the White Island," one of the seven dwipas (islands) belonging to Patala (Book II, chaps. i, ii, and iii). This ancient text locates Atala geographically on the seventh (heat, or climate) zone, which according to Francis Wilford (the translator) is 24 to 28 degrees north latitude, putting it in the same latitude as the Canary Islands just off the North African coast. Col. Wilford rightly calls Atala, "Atlantis, the White Island". It is described as the mountainous homeland of a powerful and highly civilized race located in “the Western Sea” on the other side of the world from India. The Vishnu Purana relates that Atala was destroyed by a violent storm, and according to other Puranas six other islands (dwipas) were destroyed during this awesome convulsion of nature.
"Narayana" by Benjamín Preciado Centro
The great Indian epic Mahabharata (circa. 600 B.C.) also refers to "Atala, which is described as an "island of great splendour." It continues: "The men that inhabit that island have complexions as white as the rays of the Moon and they are devoted to Narayana . . . Located in the North Atlantic, the denizens of White Island believe and worship only one God, Narayana" (Santi Parva, Section CCCXXXVII). According to this account it is inhabited by white men who never sleep and never have to eat. This was the “Son of the Waters” and “the blessed supporter” (Atlas, “the supporter”), who was later responsible for a world-flood. Atala itself sank in a violent storm. All this unquestionably bespeaks Atlantis and its destruction. In Hindu myth, Atala was the center of seven realms. “They are embellished with the magnificent palaces in which dwell great snake-gods [compare with Valum, “Kingdom of Serpents,” from which Votan, the Quiche Mayas’ founding father, arrived in Middle America]—and where the sons of Danu are happy. There are beautiful groves and streams and lakes.” This description mirrors Plato’s description of Atlantis in Kritias.

In other words, Atala, the White Island is remarkably similar to Plato's Atlantis, even down to its circular capital city, Tripura. Tripura is made in three concentric parts, just as Plato's Metropolis is divided into three parts by concentric canals. During the war of the gods and Asuras, the wicked cities of the Asuras began to fall, one by one, amidst loud cries of woe: "Burning those Asuras, he [the hero] threw them down into the Western ocean" (Karna Parva, Section XXXIV).

The six regions surrounding Atala correspond to another Atlantean allegory, the Tower of Babel, which “was built after the model city in the sphere of Saturn.” Saturn, or Kronos, was synonymous for the Atlantic Ocean in Greek and Roman myth. Moreover, the fifth-century Greek poet Nonnus described “Atlas, in the enclosure of the Seven Zones.” Among the sacred numerals of Atlantis, Seven signified the completion of cycles, while Six stood for the perfection of human forms. “The sons of Danu” recur in other parts of the world directly affected by the Atlantis experience, such as the Irish Tuatha da Danann (“the Followers of Danu”) and the Dananns (the sons of Danaus, himself a son of Poseidon, brother of Atlas, and the founder of civilized Greece).

On the other side of the Atlantic Ocean, in the American South, Atala is the word for “mountain” among the Cherokee Indians, who may have used it to describe a 40-foot high pyramid found in Georgia. Etowah Mounds is today an archaeological park including a prehistoric ceremonial center of large earthen temple-mounds built around 900 A.D., and abandoned in the early part of the 14th century, but whose earliest origins are still undetermined.

Berber traditions likewise describe Atala as an island of miners, wealthy in gold, silver, copper, and tin. Not content with these riches, they launched a military invasion that swept eastward across North Africa, a conquest cut short by a flood that drowned their homeland, the same Atlantean War and inundation described by Plato. The Berbers predicted that Atala will one day rise to the surface of the sea that long ago overwhelmed it. Berber tribesmen of the Shott el Hameina, in Tunisia, still refer to themselves as the “Sons of the Source, Atala.” A Norse version of Atala was Landvidi, similarly known as the “White Land.”

Atlantis Encyclopedia by Frank Joseph;
Paradise Rediscovered: "The Roots of Civilisation, Vol.2 by Michael A. Cahill;

Pic Source:
16:02 | 0 komentar

Grando the Slovenian Vampire

Jure Grando was the first vampire to be mentioned in classical records. The Slovenian writer Janez Valvasor wrote about him in a book published in 1689. Erasmus Franciscus in his commentary on the Baron Valvasor’s work Die Ehre des Herzogthums Krain (1698),  mentions an interesting and famous urban legend from the district of Kranj in Carniola, Slovenia. A relatively wealthy landowner named Jure Grando of Istria had always been a hard worker and was well-liked around the various villages and in the neighbouring city. However, around his 60th year, he was suddenly taken with a strange disease and subsequently died. 

Map of Slovenia

About two weeks or so after his death, people were wakened from a sound sleep by a heavy weight landing on their chest and by pricking and pinching pains around their throats. There was no doubt in their minds that these had been caused by Grando, as several of them had dreamed about the landowner at the same time. The ecclesiastical authorities were approached and decreed that his grave should be opened, even though he’d been buried for several months. When this was done, it was found that the body was extremely fresh and flaccid and with a ruddy complexion. In fact, he looked as though he was simply sleeping. And as they gazed at the body, it appeared that the dead man’s lips quivered and he smiled or bared his teeth. He even parted his lips as if to breathe. And to add to their horror, the eyes of the corpse suddenly opened, whereupon all those present fell to their knees and began to recite sacred litanies against evil. 

A priest then raised a crucifix above his face and intoned “Raise thine eyes and look upon Jesus Christ who hath redeemed us from the pains of hell by His most Holy Passion and His precious Death upon the Rood.” At first, the dead man looked confused, then an expression of intense sadness crossed his face and tears began to flow down his cheeks. After a solemn commendation of his soul and at a sign from the priest, the head of the vampire was struck from the body with a spade. The headless body jerked and convulsed as if it had been alive. After that, his former neighbours were no longer troubled in their sleep.

Encyclopedia of the Undead: "A Field Guide to the Creatures that Cannot Rest In Peace" by DR. Bob Curran;

Pic Source:
06:25 | 0 komentar

Recent Post

Recent Posts Widget


Popular Posts